The government provides additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and Sport in primary schools. This funding is referred to as the Sports Premuim and is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. The funds must be spent on improving the school's provision of PE and Sport, and the school can choose how to do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and Sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and Sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and Sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.